Friday, May 31, 2013

Wanda the O.A.P.

Old Age Pensioner for those of you unfamiliar with the term. There we were, zipping along highway 101 in Oregon, when Wanda decided she didn't want to shift without a bit o'difficulty. Then, as we pulled into Lincoln City, Wanda decided she wasn't going to shift out of 3rd gear either. Alas and alack, we mulled it over, then called the Wizard, John to ask what the @#%$!!!
He pointed me to one of the problems, a broken shifter plastic thingie.

John also directed me to The Van Cafe's website, where he thought they may have the part. I called Peter at The Van Cafe, and he sent me the part, UPS to the campground. He also included some Famous Amos cookies, so he is even cooler.

The part went on without much fuss and my shifter was good to go. However, as John put it so succinctly, "sometimes one thing leads to another." And, Wanda still wouldn't shift out of third. I spent a few hours crawling under the van, looking at linkages and lots of dirt and grime and came to the understanding that this, like so many other things in life, was beyond my fixing.
So, we are off to Portland tomorrow, in 3rd gear only (if we make it), and will be seen on Sunday by Chuck at Chuck's Volks Werks. He has a car show on Saturday, so it is Sunday for us.

Other than that, the Oregon coast is green, wet and windy!

Peace my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment