Sunday, August 8, 2010

Joigny

Joigny was our next stop on the canal.

This is the Elisabeth.

View from the boat.

Looks like a Universal Studios lot!







The next pictures are of the lock area at Laroche St. Cydroine, outside of Joigny.

Some locks have a house where the lock attendant lives.

A boat coming into the lock.


Opening the lock.





Facing north from the lock.

Flowers abound around some of the locks and most of the towns.



Peter and Sheena Jenner (owners of the Elisabeth) have been very good to me, allowing me to tag along with them on their journeys down the canals. I get to eat whatever the chef (Emma), prepares for the passengers, and she is very good with desserts! When Emma is off, Sheena is the chef and she takes good care of me as well. Lots of butter and cream, and bread (fresh from the bakery every morning), and cheese! No microwave on this boat! My body is wondering what the heck is going on. I am also getting quite the feel for how a boat is run on the canal, and how hard Kirsty and the rest of the crew work (often 14-18 hour days).
Driving the van through the countryside is a very pleasant experience, only occasionally do I think, WTF?? when I encounter something out of the ordinary (like toilets without seats or lids, or toilets that are holes in the ground, or Sundays where almost nothing is open in towns). The roads were built in the towns before cars were invented and it shows. Driving and parking is always an adventure!
I have lots more pictures to show, and as soon as I have time I will get them posted. Au revoir my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment