Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mildenhall

After cruising on the Eurostar train from Paris to London in a bit over 2 hours, we rented a car and headed north to Cambridge. We stayed at a hostel and then drove north to Mildenhall the following day. I was stationed in Mildenhall 30 odd years ago so I was curious to see how much it had changed.  Cambridge definitely had, growing a lot and spoiling what had otherwise been a very nice town. Mildehall had grown too, although not as much. The town had many more stores, and the base was not completely shut off to visitors. I believe I found where I used to live off base and where Keely lived with her parents until we got married. She will have to take a look and see if I was right or not.
After Mildenhall we barreled north to York to drop the car off and stay with Kirsty's sister Kerry (and husband Martyn,  and daughters Eryn and Isla) in Billbrough, just outside of York.





I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall for my first assignment in the Air Force.

The base is shut down tighter than a drum now.



This is the street Keely and I lived on.

Bob's your uncle! This may have been the duplex.

Or the one to the left of the van. Hard to say after all these years.

I think this is the road Keely's parents lived on.

One of these and I'm going to pick...the one with the red roof. :)

Love the "ethnic hair" sign.

Mildenhall Air Force Base terminal, the Gateway to the UK for US servicemen and women.

For you Keely!

York will be the next post. Ta mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment