Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Monte Cassino

We visited the Abbey at Monte Cassino and were very surprised at the opulence found inside. The abbey, and surrounding town had been bombed into rubble during the Italian Campaign of 1944 by the Americans. For more information, see the Abbey and the Battle.

The town and Abbey (on the hill) after the bombing.

The town of Cassino now looks like something the East Germans would have designed, only with an Italian flair for color. Mostly blocky apartment complexes in orangish hues. In a word, hideous. The Abbey, pristine and white, shining on the hill looked like a safer bet. Completely rebuilt after the war, the Abbey looks remarkably modern and pristine despite its repeated sackings throughout its turbulent history.


Now, I was raised Catholic, so I can speak about my peeps. However, I don't know how you feel about the Church or its trappings, so I won't editorialize, much, other than to say, geez, seriously?!




 Half the world's marble must be in this place.




 View from the Abbey grounds.



The square in the picture before this one would have been on the left edge of this picture of the Abbey after the bombing.



In the ceiling.

Words fail me.

They got this part right.

I think we are going to be in for a bigger shock when we get to St. Peter's Square in Rome.

Peace to you all my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment