Sunday, April 11, 2010

And so it begins. Today I am 51 years old, paused at the crossroads of my life with the wind blowing gently through what is left of my whitening hair. I have given away, thrown away or sold most all that I have accumulated in the past 50 years. All I will take with me down this new road is what can fit in, or on, my car.
The process of assigning a value to my things was an interesting exercise. I found that what really mattered to me were those things given to me by those I love. The rest was just stuff. Over the next 50 years I will focus not on what I can accumulate, but what I can experience.


"Oh, it's a mystery to me
We have a greed with which we have agreed
And you think you have to want more than you need
Until you have it all you won't be free" 
(thanks to Eddie Vedder-"Society")

 I am heading North to Sitka, Alaska (57°3′10″N 135°19′54″W), on May 4, 2010. On the way, I will be stopping at Yosemite, California (37°38′51″N 119°43′07″W), Silver Falls State Park, Oregon (44°51′23″N 122°36′31″W), Seattle, Washington (47°36′35″N 122°19′59″W), then catching the Ferry from Prince Rupert, British Columbia (54°18′44″N 130°19′38″W) to Sitka.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Looks like a fun blog! Watch out for Bears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Patrick, I just got the blog address today(4/22/10), so I will wish you a "Happy Belated Re-Birthday"! I will enjoy following your blog, and may live a little through you. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patrick: Well it seems like you landed in Ashland? My cousin and one of my best friends live there. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete