Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Help! and Where the Heck am I? Gear

What is a geek without his geek things?? Here are a few of my gadgets that I will use while mucking about in the Final Frontier:
Most importantly, should the poop hit the fan, I have the Fast Find 210. It is a powerful waterproof 406 distress beacon with a built-in integral 50-channel GPS for additional pinpoint location, further speeding up my rescue by the search and rescue folks. The 210 transmits the two signals simultaneously, one to the global 406 MHz satellite system, and the other (121.5MHz) is to speed up the local recovery response process so I can get pulled out of the water or off of the mountain quicker. Once activated, FAST FIND's signals will continue to transmit for at least 24 hours. It also includes a SOS LED flash light to further assist in night time rescues.
It will operate in temperatures down to -20°c and the battery lasts 5 years.

The Garmin GPSMap 60csx has a high-sensitivity GPS receiver (excellent satellite reception even in heavy tree cover or deep canyons), an electronic compass and altimeter. It is waterproof (although Garmin says it is waterproof, they also say don't get it too wet...go figure). Built-in US autoroute basemap, including highways, exits, and automatic, turn-by-turn directions. More importantly, it also gives me tide data. Nice color display as well! I used it to get to Starbucks the other day by setting the GPS coordinates for the Starbucks at 5th and Robinson and bushwacking through Hillcrest. Pinpoint accurate. Magical.

My radio is the Icom IC-M2A handheld VHF radio (thanks John!). The radio has a rugged waterproof housing that's submersible in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes (take that Garmin!). The radio works with all 57 U.S., 61 Canadian, and 57 international channels (in case I get lost and find myself in Russia. I've heard you can see it from Alaska), along with 10 weather channels from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (the NOAA channels notify you when inclement weather is approaching).
The IC-M2A also searches through all the tag channels in sequence, has a priority scan mode that does the same but also monitors the distress channel (number 16), and a weather alert option that immediately switches the radio to the appropriate weather channel when a storm warning comes through. Icom says I will "dig the Dual Watch and Tri-Watch functions. The former lets you communicate on a channel of your choice while also keeping an eye on channel 16, while the latter monitors two channels-channel 16 and another channel-while receiving a third channel." Can't wait. :)

And for when the batteries or waterproofing fails, I will at least have a spiffy compass to keep me occupied. I have the Brunton 15TCDL compass with mirrored sighting, adjustable declination (accounts for difference between true and magnetic north), and a clinometer (for figuring out slope angles and to estimate danger on avalanche-prone slopes). I'm channeling back to my Boy Scout days, but not much is coming through on the compass training. Better practice and figure out what to use the mirror for besides shaving every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment