Friday, April 16, 2010

Kayak Gear

I have contributed significantly to the stimulus program through my purchases for Patrick's Big Adventure. Especially to REI, Kokatat, and NRS. Pictured below:  Wilderness Systems Tempest 170; Kokatat Expedition Drysuit; Kokatat Bahia PFD; Kokatat Nomad Boots; NRS Endurance Splash Top; Werner Camano Paddles; NRS Reactor Gloves; and CastleCraft Hydrodynamic Outrigger. I have been told on numerous occasions that I should not go kayaking alone in Alaska because the water is so cold that if I were to flip my kayak, I would have about 15 minutes to get out of the water and back in my kayak before I passed out from hypothermia (and go on meet my maker shortly thereafter). So, because I am stubborn, I have listened and, also because I do not have a death-wish, purchased the outrigger system so that my chances of flipping are practically nil. Even if I do flip it, getting back on a kayak with outriggers is a simple, quick process. I promise to practice. Frequently. I may look like a sissy, but I will be a dry sissy. :)
I have oodles of gear, and will list it as time goes on.
Funny (at least to me) story about the Outriggers. I initially wanted outriggers from a company called Kay-Rak in Vancouver. I called them and spoke with the owner who said they were moving to a new plant and would start back up the first of April. I emailed twice in April and received no answer. I called and got a recording. I called again a few days ago and got the owner's voicemail. However, when he answered this time he used a different company name and didn't return my call. Soooo, on to plan B, outriggers from a company with people who will talk to you and send you things.
















No comments:

Post a Comment