Sunday, April 25, 2010

Outrigger Testing

I took the kayak out this morning to Mariner's Cove to see how the outriggers performed. I installed them yesterday (very simple procedure) and got up early this morning so that if I sunk the kayak or did a header off the side while standing up, no one would see me and blog about it.

















The outrigger gear allows for me to raise the pontoon just out of the water (for less drag and less stability). However, I didn't notice much difference in the drag when they were fully down or slightly above the waterline. The pontoons flow very smoothly through the water. 


















I know you can't see me, but really, I am standing up. Very stable! Then I did a handstand, and a cartwheel. Okay, those last two are not true.
When stopped, the outrigger system stabilizes the kayak very well and should allow me to take pictures with a steadier hand. Lots of kayaking will tell how well they hold up, but so far I am very pleased with their performance and stability.

Now, I don't claim to know very much about boats, but this boat seems to be floating a bit low in the water. Maybe it's me. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment