Saturday, June 5, 2010

Katlian Bay Kayakabout

Woke up this morning to the rain (and the ferry) sometime around 3:30. Rain on my tent is such a pleasant sound that I had no trouble going back to sleep. Decided to go out on the bay about 9 as there wasn't a bit of wind and the tide was slack after high tide. Perfect for me to launch, so there I went. Just a short 2 hour jaunt close to camp, mostly poking about the shoreline, chasing jellyfish. The weather here can change in an instant and the clouds were looking a bit heavy. It rained off an on while I was out, but hey, kayaking is a water sport!

Almost like glass this morning when I started out.

That white line you see is actually yellowish-green from all the pollen. The pollen is so heavy here this time of year that it coats everything, especially if you are camping in the forest.

I found this crab pot entangled onshore around some rocks. I took it back to camp and the owner came and got it.


Hanging out under the trees when the rain got heavy once.

Looks like egg yolks!

Chased this one around for a bit before I could get a decent picture.

This one tried to hide in the grass, but I was wise to his tricks. I'm smarter than the average jellyfish.

Purple starfish, especially for Bree!

A few minutes after I made it back and put my stuff away, the skies opened up. Time for a hot shower, hot coffee and a hot internet connection.

Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment