Friday, June 4, 2010

Slowing Down

Its been raining and windy the last couple of days, so no kayaking about. Still, I am finding that I don't need to be doing something everyday other than just being present. So that is my focus now. The kayaking, biking and hiking are part of the experience here, not something to do.

I heard a loud crash about 3:30 am the other night and looked out my tent and saw that the large dumpster had been overturned. Couldn't see anything else so I went back to sleep. In the morning, found garbage strewn all over the dumpster area. Apparently a bear had decided to visit. Yikes! Let's hope it (they) stay over at that end and not wander over to my end. I am the only tent here and the nylon isn't much of a deterrent for a brown bear, or even a raccoon for that matter.  I keep all of my food in my car, so nothing for it to eat. The other campers have dogs, so if a bear does wander over, they should start barking like crazy and make enough noise to move it along. The bears aren't too fond of humans and would just as soon avoid contact with us.

A few more pictures of various places around Sitka for your viewing pleasure:

First two are of barnacle encrusted rocks at low tide in Indian River Bay.



Things grow large here! Next three pictures show the size of a skunk cabbage, devil's club, and one of the biggest pieces of driftwood I've ever seen.




 I hung my jacket on it to show some scale.

The next three are views from Harbor Mountain Drive. I couldn't get all the way to the summit because the last gate was closed. It should open soon.





Vibrant flowers at the Pioneer home.

Saw these Herons at the Estuary. I was sitting in the viewing platform watching the rain when they decided to drop by and fish a bit.

Whimsical shot of leaves through a twisted tree trunk.

Love the colors of the rust stained rocks at one of the docks.

The next three are of weathered wood by the docks.






Things I am working on before I leave on the 22nd for two weeks to Ketchikan:

A kayak trip to Magoun Islands State Marine Park to camp out for a couple of days too work the kinks out in preparation for my Ketchikan trip. Also I want to camp out overnight at the top of Harbor Mountain. There is a cabin at the top I can use. It is early enough in the season that it might be available (first come, first served). If not, I can pitch a tent.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment