Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Siginaka Islands for Real

I was wrong the other day when I wrote that I had visited the Siginaka Islands. That was Big Gavanski Island (not to be confused with Little Gavanski Island). However, early this morning I went to one of the Siginaka Islands (about 6 miles round trip). It was very overcast, about 45 degrees, and periodically sprinkling. A big front is supposed to be coming in, so I thought I'd get some kayaking in before it hits. Still wore my wetsuit, but had to wear my NRS Reactor gloves to keep my hands from going numb. The trip out was fairly smooth, and floating around the island was a very cool, serene experience. Coming back was a bit of a slog as the wind was picking up and the waves were getting choppy. Nothing a hot cup of coffee couldn't repair when I got back.


Heading this way...

Nice little bay I can put in right around the corner.

Beautiful no matter where I looked.

The trees come right to the edge on these islands.

The next shots are of animals that I do not know the names for. Maybe my bud (and Master Diver) John can help me out.




and my favorite, the hanging starfish:


The noise in my head abates when I kayak. It is replaced by rhythm and cadence and the wonder of where I am.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment