Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Patrick's Next Big Adventure

I took the ferry Columbia from Sitka to Ketchikan yesterday, arriving this morning about 9:15. I've been a bit rundown the last few days, so I layed around trying to shake it.
Very low clouds and raining the entire way. Nothing to report except a whale did a complete breach of the water twice for us, then played with his mother as she lay on her side and slapped her massive flipper  on the water. Two excited watching to get my camera, got a blurry shot of the last breach with my iphone.
One brave soul pitched a tent on the exposed deck, but the rest of us stayed under the glass.

Tomorrow I leave for Misty Fjords National Monument when Jared from Southeast Exposure is going to drop me off at the forest service cabin on Winstanley Island. I'm going to stay there the night, then kayak over to Rudyerd Bay and set up camp in an area called The Punchbowl. From there I'm going to kayak and explore further in the arm of the fjord until the 29th, then packup and kayak back to the cabin. I'll explore around the island until the 2nd, when Jared will pick me up and take me back to Ketchikan.
I will be out of contact with all until the 2nd. I have a vhf radio in case I need help, and a personal locator beacon in case I really need help. As soon as I get in range I will email to let you know I am alive and well.

What can I say? At least I didn't say it was the Loch Ness Monster.

Love this sign on the wall of the solarium.

Sitting in the solarium, where I spent the night.

Peace and love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment