Friday, May 28, 2010

Kayaking Starrigavan Bay

Kicked the dust off the kayak and headed out into Starrigavan Bay for a bit of a paddle. Suited up in the dry suit, but it was so nice that I think I can put it away until it gets colder or rains hard (or I get to Ketchikan). Was a dripping rag by the time I got back. The bay is so full of sea life, from the fish popping up all over the place, the myriad of jellyfish, and the three seals that decided to come up about 20 feet behind me, snorting and carrying on. I about spoiled my dry suit! Thought Shamu had come for a snack. Got one sorry pic before they decided I wasn't worth eating and submerged again.

Barb, the manager where I am storing some of my gear, is a kayaker and is going to give me the local scoop on best places to kayak. Sitka is one of the finest kayaking locations in the world and I get to paddle about!!

Heading out.

Jellyfish are all over these waters.

Heading out to this little island.

View from the island.



A bit overdressed.

Seals on the way back saying boo!

Heading back.


Very rocky coastlines here.


Orange starfish on rocks.

Back at camp. I will try not to go out at low tide again. A bit of a hike over barnacle encrusted rocks. Very excited to kayak over to some of the other islands and camp out overnight as I prepare for my Misty Fjord trip down around Ketchikan!!

Peace my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment