Saturday, May 15, 2010

Yosemite Part Deux

 I'm sitting at a Starbucks 30 miles south of Portland.  I Decided to leave Silver Falls a bit early when someone decided to chop wood at 630 in the morning. After staying up past 2 listening to noisy neighbors and screeching animals, it was time to leave. So, here I am quaffing a Venti coffee and updating my blog.

Look up is the best advice I can give to someone visiting Yosemite. To look up is to see the grandeur of nature in one of its finest displays. How Yosemite came into being is a remarkable tale and I highly recommend you get the DVD on the making of Yosemite. The short story goes something like this: the granite that forms Half Dome, El Capitan, and most of the other mountains surrounding Yosemite Valley is some of the hardest granite on earth. It does not crumble like other granite because it was baked over many millions of years in the earth’s crust before it ever saw the light of day. Once exposed, the valley floor fell thousands of feet into the earth’s crust as the underlying rock gave away; the valley was then carved by glaciers; then the valley flooded when a dam formed at one end and a lake was created that deposited silt to create the valley floor that we walk on today. It truly is like no other place on earth.
So walk or bike around and enjoy the sites, but remember to always look up, especially when you forget where you are, to see that the valley walls go straight up to a sky that is a beautiful blue! Look up, look up, look up. 
All photos are by Jen unless they are of her, or I take credit; I'm getting old and can't remember :)

No words necessary. . .

Mirror Lake reflection of Half Dome.

Nature photographer in her natural setting.

Rainbow on the hike up to the top of Vernal Falls.

On the hike down from Vernal Falls, the light was fading to blue.


Top of Vernal Falls. I'm being brave!


Top of Vernal Falls.
 

On the path down from Vernal Falls.

Me and Bobby McGee at the top.

Jen climbing down Vernal Falls.

Contemplating my navel at Mirror Lake.

Glorious Trees!

Trail sign on the way to Vernal Falls.

Way up to top of Vernal Falls.

She's got that peaceful, easy feeling. . .

Biking around Yosemite is way cool!

All the comforts of home :)

Yosemite Falls is spectacular!

Moved to tears at Yosemite Falls.

Half Dome with cross.

The tunnel out (and in) of Yosemite.

Remember to look up my friends!

 Bye for now, on to Seattle. I will update the Silver Falls blog before I leave Seattle.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment