Saturday, May 22, 2010

Prince Rupert Walkabout

Woke to a gorgeous morning in Port Edward and decided to head into Prince Rupert (nothing to see in Port Edward, move along please). I mingled with the natives for a bit, had coffee and a bagel at the Cowpuccino's Coffee House, picked up a few essentials for the trip tomorrow (like gloves, duh!).

Fairly uneventful day today. I'm going to get my pack ready for the ferry. Once I park my car, I can't go back to it until we get to Sitka. So, I have to have all of my food, a set of clothes, toothbrush, sleeping bag, camera, book, journal and computer in my pack for the trip. And Starbucks instant coffee (who knows what hideous coffee they have on the ferry).
Apparently we can just pick a place to sleep. Many sleep in the deck chairs on the front deck, some pitch small tents. I hope the weather is nice enough to get pictures of the passage. I leave Sunday at 5:30 pm (it gets dark here now about 9:30 pm) and arrive in Sitka on Monday at 11:00 pm. I will sleep in my car for the night and go to the campground in the morning.

This place looks much like what I expect Sitka to look like. The mountains will be taller around Sitka, but the weather is almost the same now (except a bit warmer at night in Sitka). Supposed to be in the 60s in Sitka when I get there (for a few days anyway). Woo Hoo!!

When I first arrived in Canada, I felt like people could tell I wasn't Canadian. Like I had a big sign on my forehead that said USA. Now, not so much. They ask me questions like I live here, or are from somewhere else in Canada. Except when I look stupidly at their coins while trying to make change (I had to separate my US and Canadian change first thing or I would really look retarded). I have yet to get a $1 bill back in change. I either get a $1 or $2 coin. Then I forget I have these $ coins and use my bills. I have about $12 in coins now. 

Kinnikinnick Berry (in case you were wondering about the name of the campground).

Nicely wooded.

On my tent this morning.


Wainwright Basin (next  two pictures as well).

This basin is between Port Edward and Prince Rupert.

Low tide.

Cow Bay in Prince Rupert. When a dairy opened here in 1909, there wasn't a dock and the cows had to swim ashore.





I believe the word is "quaint."

City Hall in Prince Rupert. Sort of art deco meets First Nations (First Nations is what indigenous folks call themselves in Canada.

The Canadian are nothing, if not very helpful in their signage.

Can you spot my car in this photo?

Lunch (bagel, cream cheese and tomato), at the Cowpuccino's Coffee House.

Couple of Bald Eagles.

Bald like me.

Caught one in flight!

Buddha goes with me wherever I go.

Getting scruffy.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment